- Research Interest
- Selected Publications
- Social Activities
- Educational Activies
- Additional Information
|Affiliation||Department of Bioscience and Biotechnology|
|Title||Dept. Chair and Professor|
|Room||Faculty of Bioscience and Biotechnology 608 (Extension3608)|
|fukao ( at = @ )|
|Education||Ph.D., Texas A&M University|
|Academic Societies||Japanese Society of Breeding
American Society of Plant Biologists (ASPB)
International Society for Plant Low Oxygen Research (ISPLORE)
|Career||2003 Postdoctoral Researcher, University of California, Riverside, USA
2008 Assistant Specialist, University of California, Riverside, USA
2011 Associate Specialist, University of California, Riverside, USA
2012 Assistant Professor, Virginia Tech, USA
2020 Associate Professor, Fukui Prefectural University
2022 Professor, Fukui Prefectural University
2023 Department Chair, Dept. of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Fukui Prefectural University
|Research Field||Plant Physiology, Plant Molecular Biology, Plant Genetics|
|Research Summary||As a consequence of climate changes, natural disasters such as flooding and drought increasingly damage agricultural production worldwide. The Fukao Lab focuses on elucidation of the regulatory mechanisms that underpin tolerance to abiotic stresses in plants, aiming to the development of new crop cultivars with increased adaptability to climate changes.|
|Keywords||Stress adaptation, submergence, flooding, drought, rice|
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=wFmwgTIAAAAJ&hl=en
1. Alpuerto, J.B., Fukuda, M., Li, S., Hussain, R.M.F., Sakane, K., Fukao, T.* (2022) The submergence tolerance regulator SUB1A differentially coordinates molecular adaptation to submergence in mature and growing leaves of rice (Oryza sativa L.). The Plant Journal 110: 71-87.
2. Tamang, B.G., Li, S., Rajasundaram, D., Lamichhane, S., Fukao, T.* (2021) Overlapping and stress‐specific transcriptomic and hormonal responses to flooding and drought in soybean. The Plant Journal 107: 100-117.
3. Alpuerto, J.B., Hussain, R.M.F., Fukao, T.* (2016) The key regulator of submergence tolerance, SUB1A, promotes photosynthetic and metabolic recovery from submergence damage in rice leaves. Plant, Cell and Environment 39: 672-684.
4. Tamang, B.G., Magliozzi, J.O., Maroof, M.A.S., Fukao, T.* (2014) Physiological and transcriptomic characterization of submergence and reoxygenation responses in soybean seedlings. Plant, Cell and Environment 37: 2350-2365.
5. Fukao, T., Yeung, E., Bailey-Serres, J. (2012) The submergence tolerance gene SUB1A delays leaf senescence under prolonged darkness through hormonal regulation in rice. Plant Physiology 160: 1795-1807.
6. Gibbs, D.J., Lee, S.C., Md Isa, N., Gramuglia, S., Fukao, T., Bassel, G.W., Correia, C.S., Corbineau, F., Theodoulou, F.L., Bailey-Serres, J., Holdsworth, M.J. (2011) Homeostatic response to hypoxia is regulated by the N-end rule pathway in plants. Nature 479: 415-419.
7. Fukao, T., Yeung, E., Bailey-Serres, J. (2011) The submergence tolerance regulator SUB1A mediates crosstalk between submergence and drought tolerance in rice. The Plant Cell 23: 412-427.
8. Fukao, T., Bailey-Serres, J. (2008) Submergence tolerance conferred by SUB1A is mediated by SLR1 and SLRL1 restriction of gibberellin responses in rice. PNAS 105: 16814-16819.
9. Fukao, T., Xu, K., Ronald, P.C., Bailey-Serres, J. (2006) A variable cluster of ethylene response factor-like genes regulates metabolic and developmental acclimation responses to submergence in rice. The Plant Cell 18: 2021-2034.
10. Xu, K., Xu, X., Fukao, T., Canlas, P., Maghirang-Rodriguez, R., Heuer, S., Ismail, A.M., Bailey-Serres, J., Ronald, P.C., Mackill, D.J. (2006) Sub1A is an ethylene-response-factor-like gene that confers submergence tolerance to rice. Nature 442: 705-708.
and 22 other papers
1. Fukao, T., Barrera-Figueroa, B.E., Juntawong, P., Peña-Castro, J.M. (2019) Submergence and waterlogging stress in plants: A review highlighting research opportunities and understudied aspects. Frontiers in Plant Science 10: 340.
2. Fukao, T.*, Xiong, L. (2013) Genetic mechanisms conferring adaptation to submergence and drought in rice: simple or complex? Current Opinion in Plant Biology 16: 196-204.
3. Bailey-Serres, J., Fukao, T., Gibbs, D.J., Holdsworth, M.J., Lee, S.C., Licausi, F., Perata, P., Voesenek, L.A.C.J., van Dongen, J.T. (2012) Making sense of low oxygen sensing. Trends in Plant Science 17: 129-138.
4. Fukao, T., Bailey-Serres, J. (2004) Plant responses to hypoxia - is survival a balancing act? Trends in Plant Science 9: 449-456.
and 6 other papers
・Advisor for the Super Science High School program at Koshi High School, Fukui (2020-present)
・Associate Editor of Frontiers in Plant Science (2016-present)
・Editorial Board of Plants (2020-present)
・Lecture and open-lab activities for high school students at Virginia Tech, USA (2015-2019)
|Classes||Environmental Biology, Ecology I, Biology II (team-taught), Biology-Lab (team-taught), Environmental Biology-Lab (team-taught), Plant Resources-Lab (team-taught), Plant Resources-Seminar (team-taught)|
|Office Hour||Monday-Friday, 12:30-13:00 PM|
・The impact of climate changes on agriculture
・Plant improvement through state-of-the-art biotechnologies
・Evaluation of plant stress responses and adaptation at physiological and molecular levels
・Screening of mutant and mapping populations regarding abiotic stress tolerance
Degree: Ph.D., Texas A&M University (2002)
Awards: Recognizing our Highly Cited Author, American Society of Plant Biologists (ASPB, 2002); The Science Award for Outstanding Scientific Article, Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR, 2007); The AAAS/Science Program for Excellence in Science, American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS, 2005)